Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Back to Marathon Training: Week 3 of 20

It was hard for me to go training for the Sprints. It was cold and already dark because now daylight saving time is gone in the USA. But I am glad I did it, it was intense, but relatively easy for me.

My average sprint pace should've been 4:32min/km or 7:18min/mile but I did 7 sprints with average of 4:17min/km or 6:53min/mile. The only problem about being faster is that you increase the chances of an injury, that's why it's so important to do proper warm-up.

Tempo training was hard. I started it on Broadway at NoHo after I had a haircut at Astor Place. It's hard to move through traffic, things got smoother only when I hit Wall Street. The ride back home was nice but again, it wasn't easy. I did the faster part very close to my target: 1s faster per km or 2s faster per mile.


What a fantastic long run! I did my 8 miles faster than the target but it was relatively easy so I kept it faster, it gave me the sensation that I will be able to do much more in weeks to come, but still I should be aware that speeding up is a dangerous delight. My target should've been PMP+30s/mile which is 9:06 min/mile or 5:46min/km and I ended up doing 8:48 min/mile or 5:27min/km which is basically PMP! Well, keeping this pace in 8 miles is very different from keeping it in 26 miles so there's a long way to go!
To warm-up I walked up from home to the United Nations and started my run from there: went down following 1st avenue, then I did the downtown contour. I love to see the two bridges in the background, there's no other place more inspiring to run in NYC.
During my 6th mile I started to have very deep philosophical thoughts about love, don't ask me why. The conclusion was very simple: love is the only thing you can't really leave behind. I don't know if it was the effect of endorphins, but I felt very good after deeply realizing it, and felt a very strong sensation of freedom.
It is important to say that last night (Saturday) I went to Brooklyn to try the delicious poutine from Mile End Delicatessen and went to Brooklyn Social afterwards to enjoy some guiness. I am not sacrificing my life to run a marathon!


No comments:

Popular Posts