Thursday, December 16, 2010

Back to Marathon Training: Week 8 of 22

I decided to add the newer events on top from now on


My long run tonight was an adventure! And it could have been a dangerous one...
The idea was to run between 11 and 12 miles and I hadn't had the time to plan properly, so I thought that going from home to the George Washington Bridge, cross it to touch base in NJ and then back to Manhattan would be a good idea because there's a train station near there that would take me back to Times Square. And so I went...

It's rather dark at some spots, I could barely see the bike trail and could have been hit by a cyclist, next time I should consider some type of tiny headlamp of something like that. If you think I could have been mugged up there, I gotta tell you, it never crossed my mind because no criminal would be as crazy as I was to be there with that cold weather, it simply doesn't pay off.

The idea was to keep a slow pace and incredibly enough I did exactly PMP+60 that was on my schedule. Actually I wanted to do it a bit faster and did it at the beginning, but when I hit the part of the trail beneath the GW bridge I had to climb a hill and also decipher the way across the bridge which screwed my concentration and ability to keep the pace. But I guess I did it well all things considered.

The worst part of it was 1 mile before hitting GW bridge and it was so dark that I didn't see a puddle and stepped on it soaking both of my feet. Damn it! It was so cold that my toes could easily freeze after that so I quickly removed the socks and used something that I new would save me at some point: the emergency sheets that I bought on amazon. The sheets come in tiny packages that are very convenient to carry. I unpacked it and torn two smaller pieces to use as socks. It worked very well, believe me, my feet were kept warm enough. I used the rest of the sheet to cover my neck when crossing the bridge, it was insanely windy up there. Now I know that I should carry extra socks with me.

I had my endorphin fix and I am happy. In any case, the view of Manhattan while crossing the bridge was breathtaking and watching the full moon rising was yet another scene I have treasured.






Today was my tempo run. Sundays were actually reserved to my long runs, but because of bad weather the entire plan got shifted. Eventually my long runs will be back to Sundays, which I prefer.

I ran in Central Park and something amazing happened. I ran across a friend. It was a split second but I could recognize her. Sent her a text when I was back home and she was indeed running in Central Park. This kind of thing is what makes you feel that you start to belong to a place. That would happen very often in Brazil where I lived most of my life, but only recently I started to stumble upon people that I already know here in Manhattan.

Training was good, my tempo pace was kept on 8:15min/mi (5:08min/km) for 4 full miles. It's always great to run in Central Park, there's always someone there, no matter the time and the weather condition. I saw lots of runners today, this is very encouraging.

If I recover well, my long will be Tuesday, that's very odd, because it's a normal day of work, let's see what I can do.




Well, well, it's freaking freezing in NYC and I was running out of excuses so I faced the cold to go for my Sprint training tonight.

I was planning to do 12 sprints and did only 6, but instead of "cooling down" for 10-20' I ran normally. What's the point of cooling down in this freezing cold if it actually takes seconds to cool down, you just need to slow down?

This time I felt some pain in my left hamstring. There's something wrong with my left leg, I might be unbalanced in someway. Will continue to keep an eye on it and might be less aggressive in future runs.

I am glad Garmin decided to change the colors of the maps after they switched from Google to Bing. The course in red was getting confused with some main roads also represented in red. Now it's all good again and the "bird's eye" view (when you click "view details") is great by the way.


PARAMETERS
min/km min/mi

10k pace 0:05:00 0:08:03
PMP 0:05:27 0:08:46 finish 10k 0:50:00
finish marathon 3:49:58
Run Type plus/minus min/km min/mi explanation
Sprints 0:00:45 0:04:32 0:07:18 10k pace minus 45s per mi
Tempo 0:00:20 0:05:12 0:08:23 10k pace plus 20s per mi
PMP+15 0:00:15 0:05:36 0:09:01 long run slower pace
PMP+20 0:00:20 0:05:39 0:09:06 long run slower pace
PMP+30 0:00:30 0:05:46 0:09:16 long run slower pace
PMP+45 0:00:45 0:05:55 0:09:31 long run slower pace
PMP+60 0:01:00 0:06:04 0:09:46 long run slower pace

No comments:

Popular Posts