Monday, January 31, 2011

One Month Later...

It's definitely been a great month, but not for my running...

After the new year's eve 13.1 miles run I felt an annoying pain on the right side of my hip that was so bad that in the next day I would limp when I got out of bed. I was worried, but knew it couldn't be a major injury. I pay extreme attention to my body in situations like this because in a matter of days you can figure out if it's healing or not and take the necessary actions.

So I decided to put the marathon training on hold and wait for signs of recovery. On the 17th I felt I could try to run a bit since I wasn't feeling any major discomfort on the hip. The training is here, and what you can see is the following: I ran slowly for the first 3k and had to walk a bit because pain set in. Got back home very disappointed, but I knew I had to be patient.

Next day I could feel some soreness, but nothing major so I decided to go for another 5k on the 19th. Although I still could feel some discomfort after 2k, I kept a slow pace and managed to finish the 5k without any major signs that it wasn't improving. Then I made a very bad decision: to walk for approximately 1k back home. It was too cold and I was a bit sweaty, so a few days later I was having a cold. Besides that, NYC was extremely cold (around the 18F) and got struck again by a blizzard, so basically my 1 month break was due to many factors.
Today, January the 31st, I ran again, I was much more confident and could increase speed a bit. Did 5k and almost felt nothing. Actually my left hip got a bit sore and I wonder if it has something to do with the psychological effect of me trying to compensate for the right side potential pain.
So definitely I've been recovering and probably I will be able to get to the marathon training soon, but I am not sure how fast this will be possible and how quickly I will be able to get back to the 10-mile load that I was before the break.

In any case, it's so good not to have the pressure to train with a deadline. I would be suffering if I had registered for the Paris Marathon, April is around the corner.

Keep running!

No comments:

Popular Posts